No more surfing…
…well, to manufactures websites, eBay and whatnot. At least I am going to try that for the next month and force myself to work on the hundreds of pounds (as in weight) of metal and plastic miniatures I presently own.
While things are always in a constant state of flux on my hobby desk I decided to tinker with some unfinished projects…one of those projects are my Rivendell twins, Elladan and Elrohir. I love the statline for these characters, but always found that the models Games Workshop offered for them horrendous. Exaggerated swords and not to mention arms that only a gorilla mother could love…other than that…not too shabby.
And when GW came out with their armored versions of these two, at that point I totally gave up and figured I would convert my own to add to my Grey Company army. Being that the Dunedain rangers aren’t going to be clad in clunky armor I decided to make sure my twins were going to look like the rest of the group and remained similar to the models above with light armor. I was in a quandary on how to proceed until GW released the Rivendell Elrond model.
It’s a really nice sculpt but wanted to make the models look unique and combative. The original models were wearing chainmail which constitutes light armor in the SBG rules, but the new Elrond isn’t wearing any…so I dabbled in some Photoshop concepts and created this one where I used the head of the Erestor model to give the model its armor quotient without having to do too much revamping of the original sculpt.
Now the tricky part comes in…how to make the twins unique? Well, first idea was to just do one head swap…scrapped that idea as the WYSIWYG rules would need the armor showing on both. I also wanted to add bows to these guys…why not, there are elves and have amazing shoot values and they are teamed up with rangers. So bows were in. They can also switch from a two-handed attack or have an extra attack point if fighting with standard two blades. Now how do I represent that?
With the original models one is attacking with two swords and the other with one (with the hilt of the other blade under his robes)…this got me thinking, why not convert one with a two-headed weapon and the other keeping the standard sword supplied on the model already. Then I can either add a second sword or put the hilt of one under his robes like I’ll have to do on the two-handed brother.
Well easier said than done. How do you make the model where both arms are covered in robes and spread apart come together and hold one sword…not to mention where do you hide the second sword after doing this? So what I did was remove the sword from the original two-handed model (yes, when they first came out I did purchase a set of those models) and ground away the left hand from the sword’s hilt and replaced the current one with this modified sword. Yes, he is holding it in one hand, but it is a large sword so it can easily be reconciled as a two-handed weapon. Next really is to create some sword hilts to place under the robes and attach the bows to the models backs, but decided to place the bow in one of the brothers hands while the other one is attached to his back…this made the most sense to me.
So with all that said (or typed if you will) this is where the project stalled…months ago.
I still need to create the sword hilts, add some green stuff to the neck of the brother with the two-hander and attach the bow to him. I’m also not too happy with the other brother’s bow hand…I’m going to have to reposition that it I think.
So now it is time to get these conversions finished off and painted…next post will continue with this project.